Snow, snow, please hurry up and go!

How can I tell I'm really a teacher? It's not my ability to make a class silent the minute I walk in the room (this doesn't happen by the way), or my paycheck (don't get one of those either). Instead, its the frustration I feel as I look out the window and see that it is snowing again: hard.

I've always loved snow; even now in my 20s I think its a magical thing that makes everyone so much more social and brings kids out to have fun, play and be, well, kids.  I loved the two snow days that I've already had in the last seven days: I got to sleep in, relax and get loads of planning done, but as I look out the window now, all I can think is 'please, not again.'

I've put hours into lesson plans and resources and securing extra help in the classroom and these plans now seem to be doomed never to the see the light of day, all because some white stuff is falling from the sky. Don't get me wrong, I am not against schools shutting because of snow, far from it: I think opening in thick snow and ice is endangering pupils and staff, both in their maneuverability around site, and their journeys to and from the school building. But this white stuff falling from the skies is now acting to prevent my kids from learning what they need to learn and eventually, possibly from passing their exams. It is meaning that the hours I put in trying to make their lessons fun and engaging is a complete waste and I may as well have just watched TOWIE or Big Brother or something other mind-numbing rubbish (I have never watched either of these), and this frustrates me.

And this is why I know I am really a teacher: I care about my pupils more than I care about my lie in, and I love my job. I hate not getting to teach and therefore, I really hope this snow doesn't stick!
PS. My mum also said I was a true teacher; this helped a bit!

Comments

Popular Posts