Growth Mindset Session #pracped18

As you will have most likely seen on Twitter, I have just got back from the Practical Pedagogies conference in Cologne, Germany (#pracped18). The conference was absolutely amazing; over the course of the two days I attended 7 sessions and led one and Iearnt a lot of things which I was able to apply to my own practice straight away. I will do a blog post summarising what I learnt shortly but for now, if you are interested, have a read of my twitter feed (@rachabailey).

In the mean time, I have attached to this the post the PowerPoint from the session I led. It gives a summary of the research on growth mindset and students with SEND (including the data behind it and some quick to implement interventions which can be used straight away) as well as a basic introduction to Growth Mindset. The main aim of the session was to detail the latest research into two promising interventions that have been developed which can be implemented in different settings with a bit of prior setup.

  1. The first intervention was based around a series of worksheets produced by Big Life Journal (I am not affiliated with them in any way and am not receiving anything for promoting their work) which students completed as a starter in 5 lessons over a 3 week period. There is more detail in the powerpoint but the research found this intervention improved the mindset of students by 1/2 a level, a very promising result that was statistically insignificant due to sample size  (I think) . The sheets are available to purchase here or, if you have a group who would be willing to help with my research (involves completing a six question survey before and after using the sheets), I will purchase it for you as compensation for your time.
  2. The second intervention takes more set up but has led to an almost 3 level increase in mindset AND is statistically significant. In this intervention a positive on-call system was set up whereby, in cases of excellence among students, a member of SLT was called to the lesson to praise the student (publicly or privately according to student). We were able to set this up easily via Webfolder but it could just as easily work via email or radios.
The work on these interventions is very promising and they appear to benefit students both with SEND and without. I hope the work proves beneficial for you in your setting

Resources



Comments

Popular Posts